TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Port 25 (SMTP) blocked on XP?

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 20th 2004#138659 Report
The Windows machine here at work is refusing to send any email, it says it can't connect to the server or it's blocked or something. It happened out of the blue one day, I didn't change anything as far as I know.

We have Comcast cable, behind a Siemens router. XP's firewall is not on, and we just have an expired copy of Norton for virus or whatever, I don't think it has a firewall.

I can't send from Outlook, or Thunderbird.

My Powerbook and my boss' laptop are both on the same network going through the same router, so I don't think it is blocking port 25. I can send from both of the laptops using smtp.comcast.net without trouble, but not from the desktop PC.

Any ideas as to what could be causing something like this? Other than just reformatting? I need to do that anyway, as there is a ton of crap on that machine. But I can't do it for a few days and I need to be able to send email before then.

Thanks for any help.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138727 Report
Go disable XP's built in Firewall.. That thing sucks
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138734 Report
This do you any good?

How do you know if your ISP is blocking your capability to send (port 25 blocking)? You will get a connection failure or connection timeout when trying to send mail (every time).

Try running the commands below on your PC/MAC/UNIX while connected to your ISP. The first two commands should fail and the third should connect if your ISP blocks port 25 for sending mail: (substitute in your domain with YOURDOMAIN)

To run these commands on Windows, click on the Windows Start button, choose the Run option and type in the command and click the OK button to execute (run each command separately). On UNIX, simply run the command if telnet is in your PATH, on MAC, you need to configure a Telnet profile for each command and run the profile.

telnet mail.<> 25 (this should fail - that is why you are here)
telnet mail.<> 80 (this should connect as long as there are no connectivity problems)

(the last command uses what is called port 80 (the web) for sending your mail, all ISPs allow you to access the web and very few use an application proxy which could cause this process to fail)

Solution to ISP restriction on sending mail (port 25 blocking):

If you use an Outlook/Outlook Express, Netscape or newer version of Eudora as a mail client, you change implement a work-around to the sending restriction (follow the instructions below):

In Outlook/Outlook Express, change your Outgoing SMTP server to: mail.comicmail.com and change the port number for SMTP to port 80 rather than port 25 (these changes are done on the Servers and Advanced screens in the Account properties).

In Netscape, change your Outgoing SMTP server to: mail.comicmail.com:80

If you use Eudora, see Document ID: 1501HQ at the Eudora Support site to learn how to change the SMTP port for sending mail. Search for the document number under there support section.

If you use any other mail client, check with that program's documentation to see how to change the port (SMTP port) used for sending mail. You will need to change the port number and the server name (both) in order to send mail when the ISP has a block in place.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138736 Report
Just checked.. Had some information that ComCast is notorious for blocking port 25?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138743 Report
[quote=deker]XP's firewall is not on[/quote]

I'll try that stuff you posted, Pank. But the sendmail works on two other computers with the same settings on the same network, so that doesn't really make any sense to me. And the ComCast guy I talked to said it should be fine and they have no problem with me using another email provider... So that makes me think it is just that one machine.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138782 Report
I've got help quite a few times over at antionline when strange problems like this turns up...might be worth a try if spanks idea doesn't work...

Patric.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138823 Report
Saw this on another thread:

ISP's who block port 25:

capecod.net, virtual.capecod.net
ctlnet.com
cyberia.com
dstream.net
early.com
earthlink.net
ezonline.net
fgi.net
fn.net
gate.net
gowebway.com
hit.net
iag.net
igc.org
indy.net
infi.com
interserv.com
ipa.net
ix.netcom.com
jps.net
ldd.net
lightspeed.net
mac.com
mcn.net
midwest.net
millcomm.com
mindspring.com
msn.com
myneer.com
neaccess.net
nemonet.com
onemain.com
palmnet.net
penn.com
pipeline.com
powerbank.net
radiks.net
ramlink.net
rconnect.com
rnet.com
salamander.com
shianet.org
southwind.net
springmail.com
sprynet.com
sunlink.net
supernet.com
sympatico.ca
teleport.com
thegrid.net
tir.com
together.net
travelin.com
uplink.net
usit.net
usmo.com
willowtree.com
zoomnet.net
NetZero
Mindspring
MSN
Earthlink
Flashnet
MediaOne
AT&T
Verizon
Bell Sympatico
Cox
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138826 Report
I tried setting it to port 80 and it still won't work. Again, I have two other computers that work just fine with the same settings, and going through the same router/ISP so I don't think it's Comcast...
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 21st 2004#138831 Report
Look in your error logs. Find when it cannot send thru port 25 and see what error code comes up.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum