TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Having problems with clearing web addresses

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138167 Report
When I clear my Web History and AutoComplete options, I still have a few links to some sites. I tried rebooting, deleting cookies, and lowering the amount of disk space to use for Temp Internet Files down to 10mb.

Yet, it seems that nothing works. I believe it's some sort of bug in Windows XP? Are there any solutions to this problem, apart from reformatting my PC?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138199 Report
If you are in Internet Explorer, go Internet Options > Temp Internet Files > Delete the files and make sure "Delete All Offline Content" is checked. Then delete your history. Everything should be cleared off then.

Looking at things we shouldn't be??? :p
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138203 Report
[QUOTE=Spectra]If you are in Internet Explorer, go Internet Options > Temp Internet Files > Delete the files and make sure "Delete All Offline Content" is checked. Then delete your history. Everything should be cleared off then.

Looking at things we shouldn't be??? :p[/QUOTE]

I did exactly what you said about 5 times already. It usually gets rid of most of them, but keeps a few addresses. I have no idea why, and can't think of anything else to do... besides reformat.

And no, I typed in whitehouse.com instead of whitehouse.gov. :eek:
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138205 Report
long shot.......

but pop into dos, go to C:\Windows\Cookies

and type del index.dat

and restart (a new one will be made).

That little bastard has been known to keep quite a few addresses in it.

I do this with IE and opera (in opera i delete global.dat instead (and not with dos..cause of no access violations :D ).

If that doesnt work.....dont reformat (reformat is never a good option...unless u absolutely have to.)

go into dos again.....

type scanreg /restore

and pick a cab file (rb00X)......pick a file from a previous day (before you went to whatever url ) and restore your registry. Most likely those damn links are stuck in a "recent URL list" somewhere.

If that doesnt work....

then surf the net for some cache/temp/cookie utilities. try webattack.com . Again....dont reformat unless u absolutely have to.

(btw.....the above is win98. i dont know about any changes in XP...so if something doesnt work..sorry lol)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138211 Report
Here is an easier solution:
Type a million addresses into the address bar until whitehouse.com is no longer seen.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138213 Report
Thanks for the tips guys, before I read the last two posts, I went onto Webattack.com and found a Freeware program that helped me solve my problem. If anyone else is interested, here's the link http://www.snapfiles.com/get/systemwiper.html .
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 17th 2004#138216 Report
Paledin, do you run any protection software? a firewall?. if so, which ones are you running?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138221 Report
Norton and Zone Alarm.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138224 Report
would that be norton with systemworks2004?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 18th 2004#138239 Report
[QUOTE=Stunty]would that be norton with systemworks2004?[/QUOTE]

It has Systemworks, not sure if it's 2004 though.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum