TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Disallow saving/installing to partition

Page: 1 Reply
Jan 11th 2004#137202 Report
Does anyone know of a way to disallow saving stuff to or installing programs to a certain partition on XP? My brother is just used to one hard drive, and although he only has one hard drive in the new computer, I made a 5GB partition (C:\) on it just for XP, and then the other 100 some-odd GB as D:\.

Installs are automatically going to default to C as the it's the system "drive", and although I've pre-warned him about this a couple of times, I have a feeling when he gets the computer he's going to save stuff to C:, therefore eating up the space I've alotted for XP.

Or is there a way to make programs recognize D: as the default drive to install to?
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 11th 2004#137204 Report
im taking a shot in the dark but what about bios settings?
may work, and if not im quiet sure that if u use partition magic u can set a default,
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 11th 2004#137245 Report
If you partitioned windows with ntfs, then you can set it so only a certain person can save to that space. Right Click the C drive and go to properties-> security and set it so your own user has full control (always do this first as you can lock yourself out.) then set it so everyone can only list, read, execute, modify. Disallow write priv's.

BIOS is way low level and has nothing to do with the OS and doesn't even recognize partitions, only the one or 2 drives you have installed.

Hmmmm... seems like there has to be a way to set the default install drive, but not sure.... I can ask someone if that is possible.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 11th 2004#137249 Report
Hmm, my drives are NTFS, but all the checkboxes there are greyed out. And I'm root admin on the box. Wouldn't that still allow the root user to access it though? He would be the only user on an admin account.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 11th 2004#137253 Report
make a user for your brother, then set permissions for him. Make him a power user, but dissallow him access to write to c drive.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 15th 2004#137967 Report
but all the checkboxes there are greyed out.

That means you have "Allow Inheritable PErmissions To blah blah .... " checked. (see that little box in the corner).

You can make any user Admin in the user control panel area. But if you really don't want your brother to access a drive, force him to use his own user,

Make him a power user so he can install apps, but set the security permissions on your drive so that only you (root - if that is who you are) to write and exec on that drive. Then maybe give your brother Read Only priv's on that drive.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum