TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

HACKERS!!!! - Strange messenger popup

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112842 Report
Does anyone know what the hell this is or why it keeps coming up on my computer? I've never seen it before, and my computer hasn't been on the internet for like 3 or 4 months at home. Now this window keeps popping up. And the messages change, they aren't always that one. The cable guy installed the internet while I wasn't here, did he do it, that bastard!?

I ran Ad-award and it found 250 things, but it's still popping-up every 10 minutes or so.

http://www.soktdesign.com/popup.gif
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112844 Report
lol!.... those are just pop ups utilising messenger services installed and running on your system....

Go to your Start --> Settings -->Control Panel --> Admin Tools --> Services. (at least on win2k.)

Look for Messenger and also you might as well turn off Alerter... shut those services down and set them to 'disabled' ....
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112846 Report
I disabled their asses! Take that ****ers! Messenger spamming bastards!!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112848 Report
lol... are you behind a firewall? If so you might want to check what port they are using and disable that. They shouldnt be allowed in.

Unfortunately its a service that runs at anyones disposal. Kind of like the SMPT service that spammers take advantage of. If its saying 'hello world' from its port, then anyone can take advantage of it.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112851 Report
no firewall, and i don't know how to close ports.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112852 Report
Wow, thanks for that Marble. I had got messages the odd time. I also turned off a few things that had ticking me off as well. Wish I knew about that before.

Cheers
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112854 Report
hehe good ole netsend. no one is h4x0ring you.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112856 Report
There is this cool site with this creepy looking guy. He has some pdf files that are for win2k, win2k server, XP pro, XP home? not sure about home, but he lists all the services that run and what they are used for. Also what ones you dont need.

http://www.blackviper.com/Admin/sitemap.htm

From the site map, scroll down to the Windows 2k, XP services. Check em out.

Also you might want to check out some program like
Active Ports and see what ports are 'listening' ....

Here is a link to common ports and what services use them:
http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/CommonPorts.php

Now I think Net Send uses the NetBios ports. Not 100% sure. So if you are on a network and using Netbios as a way to connect. ie, if you look in network neighborhood and see all the computers names, then you are using Netbios over tcp/ip ....

You can disable that, then set up shared drives through IP addresses. But, blah blah blah Ima nerd....

I think you can IP filter on your TCP/IP settings. So you can set it up so only the computers that are on your network can talk to yours, but you will have issues if you use Dynamic Ip's.

But you really should get a Firewall. You can always buy one of those cheap Linksys or D-link routers with built in Firewalls if you dont like the software kind.

But you can mess with your friends on the network with Netsend. Start --> Run --> cmd

Then type:
netsend IP Message, if I remember correctly. or \\Netbios name.

so:
netsend 192.168.0.24 Yo mama! or:
netsend \\BooBoo Yo Mama!

and Yo Mama! pops up on their computer. But you have to have that service running on both.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112859 Report
Also, if you are just by yourself, and not on a network, you might as well turn off Netbios over TCP/IP, and turn off File and Printer sharing. You can find those by right clicking the Network Neighborhood and right clicking on your Local area network. You'll see the services you can deselect them, then check the tcp/ip properties. Deselect Netbios over TCP/IP....
Reply with Quote Reply
Jul 11th 2003#112863 Report
Yeah, I stopped paying attention about right here:

There is this cool site with this creepy looking guy. He has some pdf fi

Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum