TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Graphics Card for PC

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 6th 2003#98784 Report
Does anyone know what is the most adequate graphics card to run Photoshop 7.0 on a daily basis? I am currently looking to purchase a new computer and I am considering my options.

Thanks for the help.

Jennifer
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 6th 2003#98786 Report
You dont need a really high end card for 2d graphics work (photoshop).... But if you are getting a new computer you are probably looking at getting something that is at least 4x AGP, so get a card that has at least that to take advantage of extra power. Bit size will help in speed, so if you get a 128 bit card you will have better performance. But a 32 bit - 64 bit card will work just fine for PS.

2 names out there: ATI, and NVidia. I think ATI makes all there own cards and chips (not positive) where as Nvidia makes the chips and companies like Asus make the cards. I would stick to known brands. Asus is a good one.

So a quick recap:
ATI or NVidia

ATI = Radeon series. (9700 is there latest.)
NVidia = GeForce series. (FX is their latest - dont buy an FX card)

Bit size = the more the better, but the most expensive cards tend to be for gamers and intense 3d work. I think 256 is available now, but 128 is up there.

AGP = that is your graphics card port (slot you put it in.) Dont buy PCI graphics cards - unless you want a second one for dual monitoring. 8x's is the highest speed on the market now. But for photoshop 4x's would be fine. You can put a 4x's card in a 8x's AGP slot - it is backwards compatible.

Another thing make sure you have lots of Ram. It is pretty cheap right now, so get at least 512 MB. I would get a 1024 MB personally. If you plan on doing a lot of work in PS. Especailly higher resolution or print work. - like 300 dpi. Web resolution work doesnt usually slow down ps much.

i hope I didnt make this sound too complicated.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 7th 2003#98823 Report
Don't worry about a GFX card if you don't game.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 7th 2003#98825 Report
Originally posted by Alpha2Cookie
Don't worry about a GFX card if you don't game.

You're going to need a Graphics card, or else you wouldnt be able to see anything. I would stay away from onboard card, though.

But if you are buying a pc built from a shop or prebuilt, it should have a decent card with it, especially for PS.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 7th 2003#98831 Report
Something like a Radeon 8500 LE would suit you pretty well for all around stuff, it's like $60 at most places. Hell you can get a Geforce2 MX 400, and be fine for now.

However, as Marble said as far as 2D graphics go and Photoshop and stuff it's the RAM that you should be concerned about. 512MB is the optimal amount, however more is always better.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 7th 2003#98873 Report
I was fine with my onboard card..
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2003#99075 Report
I think you'll have to look pretty hard before you find a new computer that doesn't have a graphics card capable of running Photoshop adequately. Maybe I'm wrong though.

tom
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 8th 2003#99078 Report
You can run photoshop on a Mach32 video card from like 8 years ago if you want to. it really doesn't affect the performance of 2d apps that much. Like the others have said, any new computer is going to have a video card capable of running just about anything very well, except maybe high-end 3d games or 3d rendering applcations.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum