TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

knocking noises coming from case!!

Page: 1 Reply
Mar 31st 2003#97749 Report
OKay im just going about the internet, minding my own business when sudenly i hear some nioses from the comp. It's kinda sounded like soemthing was hitting the inside of the case. I noticed the HDD light was on, and everything was becoming super slow and the IE just froze and i had to end task it. The noise persisted, and im pretty sure they were in sync w/ the hdd light.
THe comp had only just been turned on (running for approx 10 minutes i'd guess)

So what's wrong?

I have a WD 60 gig 8 MB Cache hdd

p.s. i posted this in [h] as well...just figured some people here are pertty good w/ that stuff too
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2003#97755 Report
Sounds like a hd problem. Make sure you have a backup just in case. It could be going out...
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2003#97756 Report
Hm, I don't think it's a HD problem. I mean Western Digital drives just don't lose their axis like that. Even if it were a HD problem, and the disk really was hitting something, the whole system would crash instantly. Most of the time without even slowing down.

Has this happened again since? And can you describe the sound a little better, maybe like "sounds like" or something. Also, can you estimate where in the case it was coming from? That basically makes a huge difference.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2003#97764 Report
well i only just bought this drive no more than 3 months ago. The sound sounds like something had been hitting the rails/drive rails in the case, so i thought the fan was falling off the heatsink. oh and i just remembered, the hdd kept making 'reboot noises' like it was going to restart, those were followed the knocking sounds...i think or maybe it was before. but it hasn't happened since.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2003#97767 Report
I think that happened to me before, maybe 2 years ago back with my pentium 1 (Since I was younger I got the crappiest computer in the entire family, but it was better than n0thing) lol. I'm pretty sure it was a hd problem. I do remember that it persisted so my dad just threw the computer away and built me one.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 9th 2003#99217 Report
check inside the case.
there have been instances where animals actually live inside your computer
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 14th 2003#99883 Report
May be a little late, but Amenranozira, Pank is right. Your hard drive is going by the wayside. I don't care what brand it is, it's not immune to going to hell. All drives eventually have problems, some just sooner than others. Is it secondary drive, or is that your OS drive? Regardless, call WD and get it sent in. They'll fight you on the phone, telling you to run this test, and run this test, and of course it will be fine while you have them on the phone, but it's going bad. I've seen it 100's of times, I see it on a weekly basis. When you hear that "bang", "click" "bang", and any application freezes, then yes, there is about a 97% chance it's your hard drive. I've seen and heard the same thing happen when a power supply fan goes out, but that's only about 1 in 40 times I see the issue. Back up your data immediately.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum