TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Connecting LAN with a HUB

Page: 1 2 Reply
Mar 3rd 2003#93788 Report
if you gonna do that you might as well just get a router and plug your modem into that and then a cable from the router to the hub then cables from the boxes to the hub
you got security, convience, ease of use and an extra computer
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 3rd 2003#93811 Report
Originally posted by oranjcrush
if you gonna do that you might as well just get a router and plug your modem into that and then a cable from the router to the hub then cables from the boxes to the hub
you got security, convience, ease of use and an extra computer

The router will have at least 4 ports so you should be fine without a hub =) - Just make sure the Router has a built in firewall.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 8th 2003#102654 Report
Hello:
I`ve connected them with your help.

Now I have another problem with another connection.
I have 2 computers and I want to connect them using a cross over cable. The computer that has 2 nic cards connects through using a broadband connection but before it connects it has to dial. So on my screen I´d have 3 connections. 1 for the dial up, and the others are the two nic cards.

On the other computer I can see both computers and also can share files. I can only view some internet sites. I have problems seeing some. I cannot view them all. I thought maybe it was the browser. I`ve installed around three. opera, mozilla, and netscape. I still have the problem with some pages. I also switched other computers probably thinking it was the software or something but I still get the same problem. Both of these computers are running on XP platforms. I also tried to make the netwotk using the wizard.
I still get the same problem. Cannot view some pages.

ANyone have experiences with this.
Thanks in advance for anyone who tries to help.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 8th 2003#102675 Report
Your explanation is confusing. Any way you could draw a diagram and show a link?

#1 Give your computer names so I can identify which one is which, other computer and this computer just blurs together.

#2 Why are you dialing up when you have a baseband connection?

#3 Remember a cross over cable is only for connecting to computers directly if you dont have a hub/router/switch.

#4 Tell me which computer you have set up for the proxy.... Which reminds me, if you use a computer to route the internet, you might want to download a proxy server software. AnalogX (www.analogx.com) has a free, simple one that is decent.

Before reinstalling anything, its more than likely a network issue and not software, OS thing.

What OS is on the one computer that isnt XP?

Its best to map it out, indicate what computer is doing what, what is their IP, or if DHCP, indicate so. What workgroup or domain are you in, etc....
Reply with Quote Reply
May 9th 2003#102749 Report
Yes you`re right sorry for that.

Well here goes.

The dialup connection goes like this:

First the NIC cards goes to the MODEM ADSL the company gives.
The MODEM ADSL goes to a splitter.
The splitter goes to the telephone and gets feeded by a telephone line.

Here goes the the naming for the computers.

I`ll name the computer with two nic cards->NIC2
the other computer will be named NIC1
OK.
Both have XP.

NIC 2 has a dial connection from which it connects to internet through a broadband. So I have 3 icons from which to put internet sharing. I use internet sharing on the internet connection from where I dial. The other two are the NIC cards.
So I have three icons:

1.- Dialing connection from where it connects on internet (internet sharing)
2.- NIC card 1 (where the NIC cable gets internet)
3.- NIC card 2 (cross over cable to NIC1)

Now with that configuration I can share files and folders between NIC1 and NIC2.
The name for the workgroup is MSHOME

Both NIC2 and NIC1 have the same name.

NIC1 can surf the web but can`t view all the pages. Only some.

I have no proxy installed I thought winxp automatically asigns one. Well Í have no idea how to work with proxy.

Anyway Marble I thank you very much for your patience and your willing to help many people. I have always seen you on boards trying to help very much. Thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
May 9th 2003#102750 Report
Well, you arent using dial up. You are using a digital line on a phone line.

Each computer has to have a unique name. So if 2 of your computers have the same name change one of them.

As long as they are on the same network and workgroup, and file/printer sharing is enabled, along with the services needed for these, then sharing between them is a piece of cake.

A proxy server merely controls your tcp/ip traffic. It also acts as a barrier between the internet and your lan.

Make sure you have a good firewall installed on your internet side computer.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 9th 2003#102792 Report
YESSSS

I got it working again thanks to you, thanks MARBLE
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum