TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Okidoki, I'vd read the threads, but...

Page: 1 2 Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90312 Report
I thank You Marble. No I will put together my list and mail it to get me a "priceproposal"...

Later.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90313 Report
agp 8x so u make sure u getting the full potential out of card/mobo....does that price include a monitor?
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90314 Report
I've got an 20" fat heavy monitor at home. But if I can't include a newer one in this price I will. I've stated in the mail that I want a price for all the hardware incl. a monitor...But, we'll have to see how much of a different it will be...I might not buy a new one just now....
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90337 Report
i'm also an AMD fan simply because they took on the big goys (intel) and won. they price their product agressively and aren't afraid to make price cuts, and when they announce something its almost immediately available (unlike intel) and they make a good product. that's the kinda company i want to support.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90358 Report
Yes. AMD is the way to go for fast, cheap, and reliable computing.

If you want the ultimate fast photoshop windows pc....

Don't bother with a new, expensive hyperthreaded P4 3.06ghz machine. Just get a dual Athlon MP system. It will cost the same, or less, and be far more efficient and faster for photoshop and pretty much everything else.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 13th 2003#90368 Report
The only problem with dual processor machines is if your applications dont take advantage of the dual processor it is a waste, correct me if I am wrong because I havent used any dual processors, but that is what I had heard. Since PC chips have been pushing speed limits, I think they focus on speed rather than processing power from dual processing.

AMD just announced the Athlon 3000+ to compete with the new Intel chip =)

One thing I have heard as well is AMD has spent a lot of research on their math co processors which do a lot of the work for the processor, so they have an edge at this moment.

So Mr Bogus - what is all that Hyperthreading stuff????

I guess I had better spend some time tonight and read around the tech pages =)

And definitely get an AGP 8x' and make sure your card uses that. I dont imagine you will be buying another video card anytime soon, so you want to make sure it is current.

But just for a quick reference :

If your FSB is 333 MHz, then get 333MHz Ram - 512 MB minimum
if your HDD is 133 ATA, then make sure the Motherboard IDE port is 133 ATA.
if your AGP port is 8x's, then get an 8x's AGP video card.
so....
If it all matches, and you dont buy generic, no-name brands, then you should have a smooth and fast pc.

Others will probably have some good brand names to hint at. I havent kept up much.

There are some tweaks in BIOS, and your OS to get more power out your box. I was just reading today about tweaking XP to turn off unneccesary processes that use up resources, like Ram.

The site was:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

Sorry to keep rambling, I have been studying like a madman these last few weeks on hardware and have nerded out a bit too much....hehe.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 14th 2003#90496 Report
Originally posted by Marble

So Mr Bogus - what is all that Hyperthreading stuff????

Basically, it means a single processor will take idle cpu cycles for usage in other applications, or put it to use for a multi threaded application such as photoshop which takes advantage of extra cpus. In fact, Windows reports a hyperthreaded P4 in the control panel as a dual cpu system.

Now I'm not too up on the latest dual AMD motherboards, but even the older boards should be sufficiently powerful enough to keep up/beat down a P4 hyperthreaded cpu, at least as long as you put some decent processors in it. And at least be a hundred bucks or so cheaper, probably more.

I don't do anything without mutlitasking. There are always several windows open up on my pc, so a dual cpu would definitely help out. Dual cpu systems also benefit in this area by having the seperate cpus handle different tasks, even if they aren't multi threaded in nature.
Reply with Quote Reply
Feb 18th 2003#91268 Report
Sorry to keep rambling, I have been studying like a madman these last few weeks on hardware and have nerded out a bit too much....hehe.

Well, Marble it's my own fault, eh ? I asked for it ! And BTW I am thankful for your input and everybody elses aswell. Much needed and appriciated. Thanx guy's !
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum