TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

comp config

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Reply
Jan 29th 2003#88097 Report
I'm planning on building a new computer, but I want to make sure that everything will work in perfect harmony with each other.

I've attached my list of new components i'm planning to purchase:
http://slugocity.webimpulse.net/neweggshow.txt

if anyone can give me advise on what I already have from what they know, or just direct me to some sort of website where I can find this info out on my own, that would be much appreciated.

Also, do you think I should go for the retail 1.67 ghz AMD so that it comes w/ the heatsink instead of buying the 1.7 w/o?

thanks much
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 29th 2003#88126 Report
That looks like a pretty sweet system.... As far as motherboards go, this one is getting a lot of incredible reviews:

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/eng/products/SOCKA/7NJS.asp

But I think your board is not far off, other than the NVidia Chipset.
I have never used Sony drives, dont know if they are any good.
Maxtor and Seagate HD seem to be more realiable than WD or IBM....

If you are a gamer, then go with a Radeon card over the NVidia. Radeon 9700 at this moment is the best card you can get, but in a few months it will probably be last years model.

It looks like a sweet computer though =)
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88173 Report
hm...thanks.

Yea i know the radeon is supposedly better right now, but i'm going with the gfc b/c it's cheaper hehe. If i weren't getting the monitor, then i would probably consider the ATI...but alas, I prefer a new monitor.

yea i currently got a maxtor hdd.
ok well newegg told me to consult the manufactors themselves, so I'm off to try that.

thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88187 Report
Some tips from past experiences...

Whatever you do, do not get anything by Chaintech. Especially their motherboards. They are pure ****. For a good mobo, just pick out any Asus (A7N8X) or Abit (NF7). I would also recommed a nForce2 chipset. It has great reability, good overclockability, and awesome on-board sound. Basically avoid mobos from Chaintech, ECS, and Soyo.

For a vid card: if you're a gamer and is willing to spend $180 on a vid card, get a Radeon 9500 Pro. It's better than any geforce4 Ti4200/4400 and is right up there with the 4600. However, if you do want to go with a Ti4200 get either the Albatron one or the MSI one. They are the best. But I would still recommed a Radeon 9500 Pro since it's basically the same price as the Gainward card you have listed.

Also I dunno if you forgot or what, but you need a harddrive too. Go with either Western Digital (preferebly a 8MB cache one) or Maxtor (not Maxtop). Both great manufacturers.

The case is good. However I'd rather get a case and a PSU separate since some PSU's that come with cases are usually crappy. Best PSU are made by Antec, Enermax, and PC and Power Cooling. Best cases are made by Antec, Lian Li, Coolermaster, Chieftec, Chenming, Maxtop, Koolance, Enlight, Enermax. But generally cases are all good.

And Sony drives are good, however most Lite On drives are better.

And Newegg is best. All hail Newegg.

Also for more help or just info, check out the [url=http://www.hardforums.com][H]ardOcp Forums[/url]
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88194 Report
oh i gonna transfer over my current HD. alright I shall check out the radeon as well. And i'm now looking between two abit mobo's:

ABIT NF7-S ,nForce2 SPP chipset Support AMD Socket A with 200/266/333 FSB ,8X AGP,SATA 150 ATX motherboard Retail
Specifications:
Supported CPU:AMD-K7 Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP Socket A
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 SPP chipset with MCP2-T
FSB:200/266/333MHz
RAM:3x 184Pin DDR Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (Max. 3GB)or
2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2GB)
IDE:2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 (up to 4 Devices)
Slots:1 x AGP8X/4X, 5 x PCI slots
Ports:1xFDD, 2xSATA,2xUSB2,2xPS2,2xCOM,1xLPT and Audio Ports
Onboard Serial ATA: Supports transfer rates 150MB/s (1.5G bps)
Onboard Audio:6-Channel AC 97 CODEC
Onboard LAN: 10/100Mb Operation supports ACPI & Wake on LAN
Onboard Firewire: IEEE 1394a at 100/200/400MB/s transfer rate

and

ABIT Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# NF7 -RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU Supported: AMD K-7 Duron/Athlon.Athlon XP Socket A with 200/266/333 MHz
Chipset: NVIDIA nForces2 SPP with MCP2
RAM: 3x 184-pin DIMM Sockets, supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (3GB Max) and 2 DIMM DDR 400(2GB Max)
IDE: Supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 connectors
Slots: 1x AGP(8X/4X), 5x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard, 2x Serial, 1x Parallel, Audio, 2x USB 2.0, 1x RJ-45
ATX Form Factor
Onboard LAN: 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Onboard Audio: 6-channel AC 97 CODEC

i'm not too sure which is better...i'm thinking the second one listed since it's cheaper and seems to be basically the same thing.

[edit] yea i don't think I'll be going w/ the radeon, it's $197. But I do also have a thread going at [H].

thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88202 Report
Yeah, both of those mobos are good. They're both awesome overclockers too...if you're into that stuff.:p
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88205 Report
I agree with Malev Jest on almost everything, except for PSU. Stick with Antec for powersupplies--Power Cooling is supposed to be okay, but much more difficult to get ahold of (you used to only be able to buy direct). Don't skimp on a no-name power supply. Antec... antec... antec... you're getting sleepy.

The second thing is stick with name brand memory. I've built 8-10 systems over the last coupla years and the biggest headaches I've had have been bad memmory and cheap powersupplies.

I've been thinking about picking up an ATI 9500 Pro myself (more good advice Jester), I've seen a couple of places for just over $150, but the "oops, out of stock" syndrome. Video cards are one thing that continually drop in price, and as such are a good target to save money now and upgrade later if budget is tight. I paid almost $300 for a Diamond Viper 770 Ultra when they first came out--I'll never make that mistake and buy bleeding edge again.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88208 Report
Have you considered getting a DVD rom instead of a cd rom? It can function as a cd rom if you like as well as a DVD player. You can get amazing front loading dvd roms for a great price. I dont use my burner for just cd's cause I want to maintain its life, but no harm with the dvd.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88221 Report
I agree on the RAM issuse also. Generally all RAM of the same calibur (pc2100/2700/3200/...) is the same price. So get the good stuff, like Crucial, Corsair (best IMO), Kingston, Mushkin, Geil...of the top of my head. I have also seen (and heard) horrible stories about OCZ memory, and their products in general, so stay away from that.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jan 30th 2003#88225 Report
Western Digital drives had real good ratings with those larger capacity ones, but I have heard about several of them going bad by friends so I would stay away from them.

I am not sure about Chainteks past, but a friend with lots of hardware experience bought one recently and says it rocks compared to his Asus board. I have always had Asus boards with great results so np there.

I am not sure about the firewire. Is that something that you should get as a pci card, rather than onboard?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum