TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

um my comp messed up...

Page: 1 2 Reply
Aug 27th 2002#66474 Report
ok my HP just broke some "cannot write to drive disk" or something like that...

so if it can't be fixed (since there is no fdisk and it always crashes when i try to reformat/recover)
and w/the recent showcase of cybling's apple...
(i know i already asked about the performance differences, and i
was told that the cost was pretty much all that mattered) but
i was wondering why the computers on apple.com aren't being shipped with the OS 10.2 jaguar stuff.

also i don't know the 'conversion' or something of the apple RAM and MHZ to the pC compat. specs. and the main thing is that this might last through college so games aren't exactly the most important thing but i hear quake II is pretty good.

but yea anyways how is performance speeds compared to a PC compatible comp w/ about the same specs and what is the spec break down for the apple v.s. pc specs. is the apple OS really that much more stable? pls, i don't need biased comments and would obviously prefer feedback from people that have used both systems.

(note: writing this in my class and kinda losing my train of thought)
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2002#66475 Report
Get a new harddisk, problem solved
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2002#66476 Report
I got my iMac straight from Apple with Jaguar...it is shipping..10.2.2 will be out soon also because of a slight OpenGL problem (which wouldn't affect you unless you were rendering 3D). Jaguar is great, everything about my new toy is great...no problems whatsoever....

But then again, you could get a new HD, or possibly install your OS again?
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2002#66480 Report
Quake II? That game is like 5 years old.... Quake III is available on the Mac though.

The RAM is the same as PC RAM. So you know what you are getting there. I'm not even going to get into the megahertz though... Some people think Macs are faster even though their megahertz are lower, and other think they are slower. Either way, you can bet if you get a machine like Cybling's, you will not have any speed problems whatsoever. It can easily run photoshop, illustrator, quark, dreamweaver, whatever you want with no trouble. It could actually probably run all those programs at once without trouble. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

OSX is based off of unix, so it is pretty stable. But, my PC hasn't crashed once since I installed Windows XP, so I'd say they are pretty equal as far as stability. But it would be much more stable than Windows 98 or below, in my opinion.

Yes, the iMac is compact and isn't as easily upgraded as a PC. But you can buy external Firewire hard drives, if you run out of room. Plus you have a DVD burner built in, so you won't need to upgrade that for a really long time, as it's kind of ahead of the game.

One of the reasons I'm currently leaning back to getting a PC "whenever I get one" instead of a Mac is because of the software. Not because it isn't available, because I made up a list and everything I use is available on the Mac. It's just that I'd have to buy it all over again. Some companies offer discounts if you are switching from PC to Mac, but it could still double the cost of your computer if you use a lot of graphics programs.

So anyway... I wouldn't worry about speed at all. It will be plenty fast for years to come. Just go to a CompUSA or something and use a Mac for a while. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, get a PC. It really just matters what you like and what you want to do with your computer.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 27th 2002#66540 Report
yeah - replacement HD would be a good idea, if your HP still under warranty - call HP tech support and they will replace. I worked for HP tech support for a while and they do have pretty good warranty replacement policy
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 28th 2002#66652 Report
ok thanks deker i'll note that.

but are u guys sure getting a new HDD will fix the problem? and i gotta get the HP hotline thing, alrighty thanks alot guys.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 28th 2002#66658 Report
if that's the error youre getting, then yea a new HD will most likely fix your problem. if not, it's no big deal either because if you're under warranty, dont they give you the HD for free?
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 1st 2002#67277 Report
ok...

well i bought a new HD, although i think i only had the problem b/c that cord connecting to the power supply wasn't plugged in.

but anyways...
i bought a new hdd, put that in...
bought a new nic, put that in...
bought a new gfx card, put that in.

updated everything...but for some reason my comp freezes every time i try to open half life. it always freezes in the same place: console loading screen. i've set the compat to win98 and disabled themes and such.

what's wrong?

thanks
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 1st 2002#67279 Report
:S

Install half life again and copy your saved games files over..That's nasty, you're very misfortunate. I'd install again if you haven't already done that..
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 1st 2002#67280 Report
do i need to remove the mods too? or just uninstall HL?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum