TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Download Forcer

Page: 1 Reply
May 21st 2001#3929 Report
Taken from the Langa List

Here's Mort's heads-up on the second threat, with a potentially wider impact:

2) "The Download Forcer" ...Check out the website at http://www.downloadforcer.com and see if this thing sounds as nasty to you as it does to me.

Indeed, Mort, the "Download Forcer" does sound bad. Downright evil, in fact. Note that in the following description, the "you" is a site owner trying to force a download on a user who doesn't want it:

The Forcer ensures all your attempted downloads are completed. In other words, if a person initiates a download from your site the Download Forcer will ensure that the download is completed.... With the Forcer, even if the visitor switches off their computer while downloading the download will complete when they reconnect to the Internet....The forcer will appear to be closed down but as soon as the download is complete the installation software will be initiated.

In other words, it's like a GoZilla you can't control--- one that's controlled by a web site owner. Whatever they want to put on your PC will get there and will be installed, even if you don't want it.

The "Download Forcer" site is a little half-baked, and it's possible the whole thing is more talk than action. (I declined to try their offered "demo," and I suggest you decline, as well.) But if their software is real and works as advertised, it's a truly offensive breach of privacy and private property, and--- in some jurisdictions--- may be outright illegal.

And if it IS real, I truly hope the authors of Download Forcer spend some time looking out at the world from behind bars.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 21st 2001#3932 Report
Sh!t! This could screw the internet!
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum