TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Design Tools

Page: 1 Reply
May 5th 2001#2944 Report
Hey. I'm an artist, yet I haven't really ever done any original work using my computer. I mean, I've done a decent amount of web design, and I am pretty good at manipulating images and creating simple logos and buttons in paintshop pro, etc. I also have some experience using Flash 5. However, I see a lot of fantastic websites out there and think to myself: "I probably have enough skill do something like that, but I just don't have the necessary knowledge or tools."

I have artistic talent, and I can draw pretty much anything by hand, but I simply just don't have the same ability when it comes to creating high quality original work using my computer. Thus, leading me to ask the following questions: What steps should I take to begin developing graphic design skills? Are there any outstanding books out there? Which software packages (aside from Flash) should I get familiar with? Are there any tools that are essential to graphic design (how are those graphics tablets)? And finally, are Macs really worth it for graphic design and if so, does this apply to all Macs or just the really expensive ones?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback whatsoever. Thank you very much.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2001#2945 Report
1) Photoshop and a text editor are all you really need. I say photoshop cause it tends to be one of the most used for web/print/etc graphics. HTML editors come in a variety of flavors. I personally prefer plain text editors and not WYSIWYG like Dreamweaver, PageMill, Frontpage or Frame Maker.

2) I think if you plan on doing serious graphics work, yes a Mac is a very good investment. Only thing I can think of that compares to a mac in pure processing power is an SGI workstation. BTW, there is no such thing as an inexpensive mac. hey are all just about in the same price range since I last looked at one.

3) I am one of these types of people who say "flash isn't a design tool". Sure it can be used to make great sites, with stunning imagery and all kinds of neat things that happen when you click a button and what not. But I hold the belief that flash is becoming over used. Everywhere you turn , someone has a fancy flash intro to thier site. It is an excellent tool to be used for interactivity. As a webdesign tool in itself, I say probably not.

4) Books are good. Tutorials are good as well. However, nothing is going to compare to you opening up photoshop and sitting for a couple hours playing with the tools and learning from the photoshop manual.

Just remember! Having an eyepleaseing site is sometimes important, but without content, people will leave your site. Everyone has something to say...either let your artwork say it in few words, or let your content help it along.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2001#2964 Report
My advice, If you are good at freehand artwork on paper...Do that!
Then scan it in take it to Photoshop (PSP in your case) and put it on a background layer and build on top of it.

0blivious quote::
"BTW, there is no such thing as an inexpensive mac."

I don't agree, Right now there are actually some REALLY cost effective macs out there.

Check out MacWarehouse.

-while supplies last-
They have the older 466MHZ single processor G4's for $1099 (a steal)
add a $300 to $400, 19" monitor and you are in business

still too expensive?

how about reconditioned imac's?
starting as low as $899
Reply with Quote Reply
May 5th 2001#2966 Report
yes, considering I live on a limited budget, if it costs over 800 dollars and is a refurb, it is too expensive.

And yes, I have looked at macwarehouse, I get the magazine every month. I also get pc warehouse. Considering the fact that I can build a dual p3 600 with 512 mb ram for cheaper than i could buy a refurbished macintosh, yeah...macs are too expensive. Then you have to deal with things like NuBus, HCA (i think thats one of thier cards form factors).

While macs are great computers for graphics, they just arent practical for someone who doesnt do graphics work for a living. They are more proprietary than Compaq, HP and IBM.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 6th 2001#3027 Report
I've been working on and with the mac platform since the late 80's and while they are proprietary, I've never had any trouble either getting OR installing hardware. The parts for Macs do tend to be expensive, but they simply dont have the problems PC's do.

I've replaced Drives, Memory, Processors, Mainboards, Power supplies and your occasional PCI whatever. NEVER encountered even one problem. Wish I could say the same for the PCs.

Its like this....
I can have a "worst case senario" and have a machine crash and loose ALL data. (20 gig drive)

Coming from my backup server I can have a Mac back up and going with everything just like it was in about 25 minutes. No serching for drivers, No irq errors, No crap.

A PC.....about 3 hours....and All the crap you can handle...plus some. (Norton ghost helps a little)

So I really guess it depends on what you look at....
I look at more than the initial cost of the machine. Considering you are gonna spend about 1500 bucks on WHATEVER you buy PC or Mac, its really just dependent on what you are looking to do with it.

Those are just a few things "I" look at when looking at when buying a computer...
Macs too expensive?...nah.....My time is worth more than the extra I'll spend buying and upkeeping a mac.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum