TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Photoshop = Good or Bad Design?

Page: 1 Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1557 Report
I was just curious to know if anyone had any thoughts or opinions regarding the idea (which many people subscribe to) that there is a dependency on Photoshop without regard to basic design/typography/etc. Some other names for it might be:

Photoshopfilteritus

or

"Look what filter I just found!"

Do you view Photoshop as a means to an end (a tool), or as an end unto itself (making you "a tool" or slave to the program, so to speak). Do you feel it's misused? Just because you know how to create "scan lines" or "lens flares" or "drop shadows" does that mean you should? (Especially if it's not serving your design.)

Just because something looks cool is it also good design?

Interested in everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

-Jon
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1561 Report
There is certainly a difference between opening up Photoshop and making something based on what tools you have, and coming up with an idea and then just using Photoshop to make your idea come alive. I use Photoshop as a tool, not an inspiration. Filters should only be used to create an effect in your idea that accentuates it... they were not meant to be the main event.

Really, you can use Photoshop for whatevertheheck you want, though. If you enjoy filters, then filter to your heart's content. But anyone who is familiar with Photoshop filters will know that you used them, and if they are the main focus of your artwork, then they will give Photoshop more credit than you.

That's what I think, anyway.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1562 Report
You really need to get out more.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1565 Report
Originally posted by NOA
You really need to get out more.

I assume this is directed at me?

How about offering up an opinion on the topic instead?

-Jon
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1566 Report
When most people start out on Photoshop, they use filters like hookers use the morning-after pill.

But after they start getting the hang of creating things on their own, designing what comes from their head, and not doing what they see on other peoples websites, they begin to use filters less and less.

When I started, ALL I used was filters and plugpins. I made a circle, and used filters and layer effects to holy-hell and back. Looked neat, but I wouldn't necessarily call it good design.

I could probably go on and on, but I'm running late and I hear that there's a new plug-in out.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1569 Report
We all see filters used with reckless abandon all over the web. Then we all also see some ingenious uses for common filters that WE never thought about.
Like mattboy said, you grow confident and move away from the filters after Photoshop gets hold of ya.
Once you do something manually and say "Hey!, that kinda looks like "
However, I REALLY REALLY dont want to give up ANY of my filters or plug-in's *grin*
I mean really....try to go a day without the any of the blur filters

I "try" to use it as a tool....but I'm in front of the thing 30+ hours a week.....so maybe I'm a slave?

Oh yeah and ...."what plug-in was that Matt?" Lol!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1573 Report
I don't use Photoshop to make money, I use it for myself...but I'm still a slave because it's so much fun that I cannot seem to pull myself away.

I'm 5-10 mintues late for work every day because I HAVE to finish this one little thing every day, I'm an obsessed slave because Adobe has my brain chained to my computer with this damn [good] program.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 13th 2001#1581 Report
I guess that makes me a slave too. But a happy one.

- pix
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum