TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

A cool WTC story...

Page: 1 Reply
Sep 16th 2001#16312 Report
Heard this firsthand from a pastor in Brooklyn, a woman who'd been faithful in his congregation for years was in the second tower when the incident started. They started to evacuate the tower and she was caught in the stairwell with a crowd of other people. While they were trying to get down the loudspeaker came on and announced that the building was secure and people could return to their offices (at that time they thought the hit on tower one was a freak accident). She started to go back up the stairs and distinctly felt/heard inside her that God was telling her not to go back. She started back anyway and got the feeling stronger and stronger. She turned around and started back down the stairs against the flow and grabbed a co-worker and brought her down with her, talking about God all the way down. She got down to the bottom and felt like she should start praying out loud so she did. She realized she was being a bit loud and noticed another co-worker who was lesbian right near here looking. She apologized to the woman and said she didn't mean to offend her; her co-worker replied that she didn't mind, it was bringing her comfort. About that time the second tower got hit and they made it safely out and away from the building.

I've watched more tv the last 5 days that I have in the last few years, partly for the news and updates on the situation and partly because I find the human compassion and rebirth of the American spirit fascinating. Suddenly "prayer" and "God" aren't words that are taboo, they're in the majority of the stories on the news reports and often times the focus of those stories. A lot of people have turned to God and prayer this week, lots of them people who wouldn't normally be "religous" as they would probably put it. The thing is that it's not about religion, it's about God and knowing Him. I wonder, and I mean this with no offense intended, how many of you really know the God you're praying to.

My challenge is this: for all of you who have felt that need, that want, that space in your life that needs God, give it a shot. Tomorrow morning services will be filled across the country and the world, many of them with people who probably don't normally attend church. I'd like to encourage anyone who's spent some time praying or seeking out God this week to find a non-denominational church in their area and go to a service tomorrow with an open heart and an open mind. There's no NFL games tomorrow and no baseball so you've got nothing to miss on tv, that excuse isn't valid for this Sunday. You have nothing to lose but an hour or two of sleep. If you're not sure spend a few minutes tonight praying about it, just talk to God and ask if He wants you somewhere tomorrow, take a minute to truly listen with an open heart, then follow that feeling you get inside. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Thanks for listening, and God bless.

In Him,
Chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 16th 2001#16320 Report
Yes indeed.

A little store about myself.

About 6 years ago, I found myself questioning my faith and beliefs in a higher power. After some unfortunate incidents, I drifted further away from my faith. I considered myself agnostic by definition, although I felt deep down that there was a God and that he/she/it does talk to people.

The first time I prayed in 6 years was 3 days ago. I hadn't felt a presence like I did at that time in a very long time. Infact, I still won't be attending a church, but I will spend my own time in quiet contemplation, talking to God.

And to think, not 7 days ago, I had no intentions of speaking to him at all. I knew eventually I would be swayed around to it, but I wanted it to be on my own terms. We were given free will by whatever omnipotent force there is, and we are encouraged to use it. I hope myself that others will turn to Him as a source of comfort in the coming months.

I don't want to sound like I am preaching, so if you find offense in my words, please ignore them.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum