TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Really slick Javascript image thingy

Page: 1 Reply
May 12th 2006#172720 Report
Fellows,

I thought that I would post something here that was not about how no one posts anything good anymore.

Instead, I will post something good that will revolutionize your web design technique, make your day, wow you, and kick you in your asses.

TA-DA!

It is a Javascript/CSS library for doing incredible slide-show style image galleries. As you can see from the page, all it requires is a few includes for Javascript and CSS files at the top of the page, then inserting (rel="lightbox") in the link to the image, and a title tag if you want a caption for the image. Then it performs its wizardry, and you all of the sudden have a slick way to show your thumbnails full size. You can also group them together with the rel= tags, and then have a gallery where you just click on the right or left side of the image to advance.

I plan on using it on many many future websites, since it is so easy to implement, and such an elegant solution to the age-old problem of creating a separate HTML page to view your full size image, or just linking to the full size image and sacrificing the feel of your site.

Hooray!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2006#172724 Report
omg, I love you!

I just wish I would have seen this a little earlier this year :/

Thanks for the info!
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2006#172728 Report
There are in fact more on this subject. Peep's that have done things to Lokesh script that I find "asskicking" among other things ;)

http://joshuaink.com/blog/206/css-photo-gallery-template

http://www.mondaybynoon.com/2006/03/27/suckerfish-hoverlightbox/
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2006#172733 Report
Nice resource... What a cool effect. I am thinking of using that as a screenshot displayer on my games sites... Only concern would be the apparent file size of the code (about (100k of js) which puts me off a bit...

... But I suppose once the js has loaded onto the user's computer once, it won't have to do to that again on other pages as it should be cached? Right... or wrong :(
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2006#172735 Report
I haven't actually used one of them, mearly tested them online as a minor gallery. And I find that the two I posted is a bit faster than the original. I dont know but think they might be using a different...what's the name...not engine, but...Argh, you prolly know what I mean...

I JUST CAN'T REMEMBER !

They're faster anyhow ;)
Reply with Quote Reply
May 12th 2006#172740 Report
Yeah it would be cached after the initial download.

I like the image caption pop-up that patteman posted, but it is not really the same solution. You still have to create separate pages for the full size images, link them all together, etc. That would require a CMS for a relatively large site, which is why I like the solution I posted, it an easily be included quickly and easily into any page.

The second link is better, but I really don't like the way it is navigated with the roll-over pop-ups and everything. It is kind of confusing and requires a lot more "mouse dexterity". Plus you are loading in 3 different thumbnails from what I can tell, which would add up pretty quick. And it is not as polished either, with is a trade-off for the smaller codebase I suppose. When I click to see the largest image, it shows a "broken image" icon until it fully loads. Don't really like that. And then you can't just click to go to the next image and have it automatically load. You have to click close, mouse back over the correct gallery (if you can remember which one it was), then mouse over the next thumbnail, if you can remember which one you previously looked at, then click on the new one, then repeat, etc.
Reply with Quote Reply
May 17th 2006#172816 Report
Hey!
I used that recentlyok.. not so recently.. I used the V1 of the thing...
www.mpmcostumes.com - made that for a client - it's been finished for a couple of weeks or so.

How are you guys? .. things changed - the forum has a different skin and there's no site anymore...
Reply with Quote Reply
May 17th 2006#172828 Report
Okey then, hehe... I don't give up. What about Stu nicholls: http://cssplay.co.uk/menu/lightbox2.html#landscape8

That's a great li'l gallery, eh ?
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum