TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Jarhead

Page: 1 Reply
Nov 7th 2005#171273 Report
Hey everyone. Long time, no post. Figured if I was going to start a new thread, it may as well have something relevant in it, so I'd just like to encourage anyone who hasn't yet, to go see Jarhead.

In comparison to other war movies, this one falls short in terms of the scale and grandeur of the battle scenes in films like Apocalypse Now, and Saving Private Ryan, and for that very reason is successful. The movie emphasizes the irrelevance of the main characters' role as a soldier, not as an obvious political commentary on the supposed futility of war, but rather as his role as a twentieth century soldier, in a 21st century war. Granted, the film recounts events which took place in 1990, but already the war was not being won not with ground forces, pushing forward at a snails pace, but instead with sattellites and cruise missles pushing the battles miles ahead at a time.

This movie takes no sides whatsoever, so if you're looking for a film that is a standard-issue liberal-guilt driven, anti-government bitchfest, then this is not it. Also though, if you're concerned about this being a Walker Texas Ranger-quality, "America is always right", white-trash extravaganza, then you have no need to worry, as this film doesn't take that road either. It seems almost documentary-like in it's depiction of the desperation of ill-trained men fighting an ill-concieved war, and really, not much else.

Again, this movie is not about it's battle scenes. If that's what you see it for, you will be disappointed, although it is by no means sterile in that regard either. The violence is subtle, and disturbing, largely focusing on the aftermath moreso than the events themselves. There is one particularly disconcerting scene showing a bombed-out road, which had been choked with traffic at the time of the attack. The disturbing barren sterility of the landscape itself serves to further emphasize the inner turmoil of a young man placed in a situation that he is just completely unable to handle.

Anyway, I trust I haven't given too much away to those who actually read any of the above. If you glean nothing else from this thread, know that this movie is absolutely worth seeing.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 7th 2005#171276 Report
I'll probably end up renting this one. I want to see it, but I can't stand Jamie Fox at all. I don't want to waste 10 dollars just to annoyed with that clown...But the dude from Donnie Darko is cool, so I am half tempted. Thanks for the review.
Reply with Quote Reply
Nov 14th 2005#171399 Report
awesome movie.... i highly recommend this one. i loved it
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum