TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

why do you like css ?

Page: 1 Reply
Sep 17th 2005#170410 Report
without having to repeat my what I just wrote in my blog, I'm trying to find out what everyone likes most about css ! just thought it would be an interesting discussion ...

http://zyconium.com/wordpress/?p=5

but here's what I came up with a top 5 ->
#1. Its easy to use

#2. Saves coding time, because it can be changed to meet your needs quite quickly

#3. Self expression: what once couldn’t be done, is now in the past.

#4. Versitile! : When you code it right, your site should look h0t in ever browser.

#5. If your just looking for something real quick, just disable style sheets.. why wait for images to download ? ( I guess you could have disabled images before, but that doesn’t get rid of backgrounds etc. )

I guess another I missed, but its probably included in "versitile" is just the whole idea of "skinning your site" and like the idea of endless designs for your site without having to copy the information and stuff, like on the csszengarden.com, that idea just fascinates me , its alot of work to actually code it so that it will work! but its great none the less.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 17th 2005#170415 Report
I just really like is you can easily change lots of things at once, and it help keep consistency by having one sheet which defines what each element should be.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170586 Report
I can but to agree with you, stating those top five. And my top one is the easy changing part..."Easy to use" is a truth that might be discussed, tho...Since IE have a life of it's own it tends to be a lot of research and looking for possible hacks when trying to do something different...That isn't "easy to use". (I get what you mean, though ;) ...)

Now, one could choose to do it so basic, that even IE won't screw it up, but what's the fun in that, eh ? I do agree with everybody that ONE standard should be used and that IE/micro**** should start using it aswell...

*High hopes to CSS3*

P
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170594 Report
[QUOTE=zyconium]but here's what I came up with a top 5 ->

#1. Its easy to use

#2. Saves coding time, because it can be changed to meet your needs quite quickly

#3. Self expression: what once couldn’t be done, is now in the past.

#4. Versitile! : When you code it right, your site should look h0t in ever browser.

#5. If your just looking for something real quick, just disable style sheets.. why wait for images to download ? ( I guess you could have disabled images before, but that doesn’t get rid of backgrounds etc. )[/QUOTE]

Instead of coming up with my own, I'll just critique YOURS!

1--disagree; If you didn't have to put hacks upon hacks upon hacks to get things to display correctly in each browser, I might agree. But alas, when all the really kewl effects you can accomplish in CSS are called HACKS, it should tell you something about the simplicity.

2--agree

3--disagree; you could solve hunger with the tools we already had, but a move towards standards is always a good thing, so I'll give you a half nod.

4-- disagree; reference # 1 response

5--why; a world without eye candy is boring and void
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 26th 2005#170598 Report
since its clearly something you can do, I don't see why they call it a hack ?, and if people knew what they were doing it would display fine in the first place, the only thing most people don't get right is padding and margins, you can't use padding in to position things.

The only reason people don't get fed is because someone is too lazy to change they something is being run, and they like the feeling absolute control. They'd hate to see everyone getting along and having equality, then they'd lose money.

-

eye candy doesn't have take 5+ minutes to download to be sexy. or be flash.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum