TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

What do you think of when you hear "church"?

Page: 1 2 Reply
Sep 1st 2005#170113 Report
I'm not trying to create a creation vs. evolution or believer vs. atheist thread here. But I have a question for all of you who would like to take the time to answer. While this may not be in tune with the latest issues of re-design going on, I thought I'd take a peek into what some of you guys/gals think of when people mention "church".

What crosses your mind when you think of church? Not necessarily when someone invites you to church or looks to convert you to a religion. But what do you think of when you hear "church"?

Do you think of boredom, labor, inconvenience, hypocrisy, money makers, or what? Do you think of suits, ties, shorts, sneakers, dress shoes, or that you have to fit a certain image?

Now, what would do you think would change your mind about how you view church? What would lead you to think more about a church or religion or deity?

Consider the religions of the world, from Buddhism to Christianity and so on. Does it bother you to think of church or a place of worship to a higher being, or do you feel like rolling your eyes?

Now, I'd like to hear from whomever would like to respond, but I am wondering more about those who live in the western hemisphere...what do you think?

I look forward to your answers...

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 1st 2005#170116 Report
I don't really know whats being talked about here, but I find that as far as religion goes people don't seem to belong to a religon anymore, like if you were go and ask 75% of people around, what "religon" they are.. the common response would be "I go to this church", or "i have my own church".. people seem to be worshiping the building and the person inside, rather than God.

just an observation.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 1st 2005#170125 Report
[QUOTE=zyconium]I don't really know whats being talked about here, but I find that as far as religion goes people don't seem to belong to a religon anymore, like if you were go and ask 75% of people around, what "religon" they are.. the common response would be "I go to this church", or "i have my own church".. people seem to be worshiping the building and the person inside, rather than God.

just an observation.[/QUOTE]

Zyc,

You're on the right track of what is being talked about here. That's what I was asking. What come to mind when you think of church? Now I know you stated your post was just an observation, I do agree with what you've said.

But why or what makes you see that people worship a building more than God? Do you think people are more concerned about the building or what goes on with a program other than the main purpose a church was established?

I see the same thing, which is why I'm asking. It seems that so many people are trying on new outfits, so to speak, and tons of methods to try to attract people to their building. But can you clarify a bit more?

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 2nd 2005#170126 Report
well I guess what I'm getting at is, people are very loyal to their church, regardless of religon. You could even ask people if they thought that was being taught was true and from the bible, and most people would say that it was not. just look at all the divisions that occur in the churches. if they were there to follow the commands in the bible, and worship god then there wouldn't be divisions ? but yet people keep going back, because thats where the family goes, and where the friends from generations past go, because everyone is paranoid of what everyone else will think if they go somewhere else.

heh I probably just confused you even more.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 2nd 2005#170128 Report
Zyc,

You didn't confuse me at all. I know exactly what you mean. Concerning churches here in the states that focus on Christianity, I tend to see more the culture of Christianity as opposed to the Christ of Christianity being taught. I know how the protocol of the church goes and how many people end up practicing what is taught (or man-made) than what the bible truly teaches.

And when I refer to what the bible truly teaches, I'm in reference to the new covenant, and not so much the time of the law. Now I know some parts of Islam, and a bit about buddhism and hinduism. But I'm just wondering what people thought of when they heard "church" which is more of a word used in the realm of Christianity.

I also see the divisions that occur in the churches and how people find it hard, at times, to leave a church because of so many emotional ties. They fell guilty and condemned at times by some of their own friends/family.

But do people avoid going to church because they think they'll only be condemned? Do you think most people view God as this higher power that has a huge stick and beats people up everytime they screw up?

And it's true that if people were to worship God, there wouldn't be any divisions, as God himself cannot be divided. But that would be more of a theological discussion.

I'm just wondering what people think of when they hear church? A club? A group of people? Do non-church goers have a certain perspective for not going and what would cause them to go?

Hmmm, maybe I'm getting a bit more confusing here. Any thoughts on these questions would be great.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 2nd 2005#170132 Report
hey you know what the word "church" makes me think of?

A funny "Murphy-type" comment: "A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle."
lol - no disrespect intended - it's just that it reminds me of that comment.

My passport says "Orthodox Christian". Our "church" is one of the more lax out there - priests get to drink wine, get married.. the churches are not as impressive as catholic ones, you can get forgiveness for almost anything (barring of course suicide) and ... yeah - they're kinda "loose." I don't know much about catholics or other faiths but I once entered a catholic cathedral and felt... somehow smaller than I shoud have. Everything inside seemed designed to remind people how small they are. Starting with the huge stained glass windows and too large benches and finishing with the statues and stuff. They were all oversized. I'm not sure I like that. I find it clever and not-so-subtle manipulation. I don't dislike it either. But it wasn't comfortable.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 2nd 2005#170133 Report
In my life-time, I've belonged to Methodist, Presbyterian, Pentacostal, Free-Will, Non-denominational, Lutheran, and Nazarene churches (we moved a lot). But we always looked for a church where we could find a presence of the living God. The church we go to now if full of people who love each other and love the Lord. That's what I think about.
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 6th 2005#170213 Report
Hey guys, I've been super busy, but I wanted to come back and comment on this topic here of what some people think when they hear "church".

mihai, your Murphy-type comment was rather hilarious. I would also say your church seems to be somewhat liberal in comparison to what others in the same realm practice, correct? As far as the Catholic cathedrals go, here in the states you'll find some that are rather large, and high, but I've never felt a sense of being small. I didn't feel uncomfortable.

The times I've visited Catholic churches have been for weddings, first communions and other ceremonial events. I do sense alot of reverance and respect, for the building, but I don't sense the praise and worship to be demonstrative as I've seen in some other churches, primarily pentecostal churches.

malibu: It seems you have moved alot and have been to so many churches. How do you mainain what you believe, and find a way to sort it all out? Do you just find what these churches share in common and stick with it, or do you go by scriptures to see what is correct/incorrect?

On finding the presence of God, how do you know when you've found it? I have visited several churches in the past few months and I tend to see more culture of the people, and how they try to get God to fit their concepts, rather than them fitting God's agenda. Is that something that I just pick up on or is that something that is all over?

Any thoughts?
Reply with Quote Reply
Sep 6th 2005#170216 Report
mihai, your Murphy-type comment was rather hilarious. I would also say your church seems to be somewhat liberal in comparison to what others in the same realm practice, correct?

yeah we're like..."Umm so you sinned eh? Ah well... just... don't do it again m'kay? If you could.. kinda'. And be sure to leave something in the collection box or else you'll be smitten by the mighty... ahem.. no no - I'm just joking... go and sin no more my son!"

haha just kidding. Actually they make you fast and say prayers but they really are lax.
Reply with Quote Reply
Oct 1st 2005#170666 Report
[QUOTE=zyconium]I don't really know whats being talked about here, but I find that as far as religion goes people don't seem to belong to a religon anymore, like if you were go and ask 75% of people around, what "religon" they are.. the common response would be "I go to this church", or "i have my own church".. people seem to be worshiping the building and the person inside, rather than God.[/QUOTE]

Wow. This is so true.

I'm a born-again Christian, believe in Jesus and go to church. I have lived in Mexico City and church down there is a sanctuary and highly respected, cops can't go in them to hunt you out and the priests protect you. I think church in the USA is exactly like zyconium says.

What I like about the Roman Catholic Churches is the stain glass windows, the candles, the incense, the icons and the silence. My favorite church is floating on the sea surface as the sun is coming up or going down or being in a forest with the elements.

love & peace,
dirt
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum