TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Student Loans Suck

Page: 1 Reply
Aug 29th 2005#170047 Report
First off, prepare for a mild rant:

My first two semesters (2003-2004) at Monroe Community College went off without a hitch, besides mediocre Grades. More importantly though, there were no tuition issues that I didn't know about. Everything was covered by loans.

The following two semesters, I go through assuming there is no problem. I register for each semester, and recieve no word that there is any problem. At the end of the spring semester, I recieve notification that I have a balance due for both semesters. My fafsa "hadn't been filled out". I recieve this notification as I am attempting to transfer to another school, which costs 10 times more, but is a "real college". I cannot transfer without a transcript from my college, and I cannot get a transcript unless I pay my remaining balance. Therefore, I assume that I will be able to pay my existing balance with an additional loan that I will have to take out in this upcoming semester. That means that I will resultantly be unable to transfer to the new school until the spring semester. I count that as a calculated loss, and make plans to attend the same community college this semester.

Last week, however, I recieve a notification from my school telling me that in 5 days, my account will be sent to collections. The letter is dated 8/5, postmarked 8/9, and I recieve the letter on 8/12. So, the letter was writtten on 8/5, sent on 8/9, and recieved on 8/12. So, if you were to do the math, my 5 days was up 2 days before I recieved notification. The only notification I recieved mentioning collections was that letter.

Not knowing what really to do about it, I admittedly do nothing. Much of this could have been dealt with had I been quicker with making calls, and being proactive about it all, but I never knwe it was as serious as it's apparently become.

Anyway, I recieve a call today from the collections agency notifying me that they want a balance of $4021.50, up from $3021.50 including a $1000 collection fee.

So, I can't go to my school this semester, as the semester starts in like 8 days, and I'd have to come up with 4k in order to register, and THEN take out an additional loan for the upcoming semester, which would total $1500.

So, I'm trying to figure it all out at this point. In the scheme of things, $4000 isn't THAT much money when you're talking college dollars, but unfortunately the only way I can get the money is through the very institution I'm barred from attending because I owe them in the first place. Altogether, it has ground my college plans to a complete halt.

Anyway, just thought I'd rant about it and see if anyone else has any student loan horror stories they feel like venting about.
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 29th 2005#170051 Report
wow that really sucks :(
could you maybe get a different sort of loan? Like a "personal use" or something from a "bank" bank.
and I think the 1k for the collection fee could be fought off - just yell a lot and show the letter you received... though yelling isn't gonna do much good except maybe make you feel a little better

I wish you luck man
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2005#170057 Report
Uhm if you got a student loan from a student loan program you don't start paying it back until 6 months *after* you graduate or quit... So who did you get a loan from? A pawn shop? :P But really what kind of loan did you get? I'm sitting on $25K in student loans and haven't paid a dime in the last 3 years, minus the interest keeps compiling =\ ...
Reply with Quote Reply
Aug 30th 2005#170067 Report
doesn't the us have some sort of educational aid ? like in canada you can get a student loan which you don't have to payback for like what seems like forever after graduate, and even then if you can't get a job you can get interest relife which means the gov't pays its own interest, and then it keeps your GST rebates and tax rebates, and puts them against your loans.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum