TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

It's true... Intel Macs

Page: 1 2 Reply
Jun 6th 2005#168595 Report
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168597 Report
Noooo000ooooo00000oooo0000!

lol omg jk

Nos.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168599 Report
Well I watched the key note a few hours ago and apparently OS X has always been compatible with PowerPC and Intel. Watch the Keynote it is rather interesting (about an hour long) I enjoy watching those silly things.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168603 Report
Yeah, can someone clarify this for me a bit more. *ahem* Deker, are you around?
I'm in the process of saving up for a Powerbook that I've wanted for quite sometime.
Should I? Should I not?

What meaneth all of this? Intel Macs? What's going on....what is this all about?

I'm confused, does this mean something like Macs will be similar to PC's or something in that area or what?

Will Apple no longer be a leader but more like a follower? Are they selling out? Can someone clarify for me?

Thanks a million!
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168606 Report
a lot of its still up in the air, but here's the general idea:

apparently for the last 5 years apple has been compliling and running all of its operating systems on intel cpu's as well as macs, OS X has always had an intel version ready to do. what apple is planning to do is sell macs with intel cpu's rather than the ibm powerPC chips they've been using. OS X will run just like it always has on g4 and g5 boxes, to the end user there really won't be a difference. what it will allow for is faster cpu speeds, increased performance overall, and hopefully lower costs for the end user. apple has said that OS X will not be able to be installed on non-apple machines, meaning they'll be some sort of firmware or maybe a specially designed intel chip that their machines will use.
a summary of the keynote with more info here: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/06/liveupdate/index.php

if you're looking to get a mac in the next couple months go for it, it's gonna be a while. if you're looking at 6 months out or more then i'd hang out and see what starts to present itself around then.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168607 Report
I don't have any more information than any of you guys do about it. The only information that I've seen on the Apple Intranet about it is the same press release that is on www.apple.com/pr/

I haven't seen anything where Apple has said 100% for sure that OSX won't run on say, a Dell yet. 'Cause I can really only go on what's in the press release.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168609 Report
yup, it has been said by one of the apple VP's, i'll track down the quote.

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168610 Report
from MacCentral:

"Apple also confirmed that they would not stop customers from running Windows on the Intel-based Mac, although the Mac OS will not run on another PC."

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 7th 2005#168627 Report
I'm just afraid that load times will be slower. I saw someplace that Photoshop will load slower but supposedly work as fast. If the load times are slower I'm afraid everything may slow down since it will basically be on a different architecture. A lot still has to be seen. I think right now there are just too many gray area's.

Personally down the road I think this will be a positive. Faster and cheaper price wise. I just hope the faster does not take years to develop and optimize. It took apple years to get where they are at now. The only good note is it sounds like they have been planning this so hopefully they are already ahead of the game.
Reply with Quote Reply
Jun 10th 2005#168713 Report
I am stickin' to my IBM run Mac but hoping that the new versions of OS X will still be compatible - aside from the fact that it runs on both chips.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum