TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

CSS Validation and Standards; Does it matter?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167556 Report
[QUOTE=deker]But, do what you want. I gave up caring about trying to convert people to use CSS a couple of years ago. The people that care have already switched, the people that don't probably never will.

Instead I'm just trying to get people to play WoW with me.[/QUOTE]

Instead of playing wow, come play anarchy online. It's 3 years older than wow, has a somewhat dated engine, but it's fun as hell...and it's free.

I'm on atlantean. I have a lvl 10 adventurer (if you play, roll one of these they heal and tank very well). I also have 100mil credits. Just send a /tell to vanzant if you do. If you don't...err..oh well.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167558 Report
[QUOTE=malibu]Web stuff isn't what pays the bills... it'd be cool if it was. Nah, what pays the bills is http://www.pictusdesign.com/dek/Skippy.jpg <<< this kind of stuff. And you called my bluff, Spectra: not weeks of full time work. But I spent a week plus of a few hours here and there in the evenings to get this to look decent in both Firefox and IE >>> http://www.jackiegamber.com/test60/content/news[/QUOTE]

Site looks good in Safari. A small issue on the very bottom, the green has chunks missing on the very bottom edges, otherwise, it looks solid.

I'm the last guy to critique code, but from what I have learned about affiliate marketing, I see how strong a difference it can make.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167559 Report
The technology is already there in Firefox. That's as good a CSS implementation as you can get. They'll have to change the CSS specs to make it any different, and when they do, it's going to be even more different than tables, not more like them.

In regards to some of the recent layouts you've been doing, they really aren't that complicated, just 3 columns with a header from what I've seen. This can easily be accomplished in CSS.

And it's obvious that CSS can look exactly like tables as well if that's what you want. Look at wired.com and espn.com. All CSS, and mighy nice looking.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167560 Report
Is there a Mac version of anarchy online? 'cause that's all i got. Come play WoW!!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167561 Report
malibu, I take it from what I read on jackiegamber.com that she's your wife? Is she the writer? I just took a quick glance at it but I'm majoring in English Lit, with a focus on creative writing. I also looked up pentopaper.org and it's a nice site.

So your wife, if I'm correct, was in my area sometime last year at SDSU for the writer's conference. That's pretty cool, SDSU is like home. Wow, that's just pretty interesting there man. I'm off to check out some of her writings.

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167574 Report
[QUOTE=deker]Is there a Mac version of anarchy online? 'cause that's all i got. Come play WoW!! [/QUOTE]

WoW costs money, which I can't afford to blow right now as I am looking for a new job. Have a couple interviews with Perot Systems on Monday. Right now, I'm working 3rd shift in a gas station. Thought I'd never work in a gas station again. Been like 10 years since working in one. Gotta make ends meet somehow though.

I'm not sure if there is a mac friendly version of AO. Looking at the ao forums, it appears that you might be able to get AO running if you use Cedega.

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=2380

problem with cedega is, I think you may have to pay a subscription fee. So, it won't be free. Not sure what the subscription costs are for cedega though.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167590 Report
Yeah, I don't have a job at all right now. :( have an interview next week though.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 17th 2005#167592 Report
Spectra and Deker, I started a thread for Affiliate Marketing so we could discuss that aspect further. If you're interested and have time here's the link on the forum:
http://www.teamphotoshop.com/forum/vbforum/showthread.php?t=24033

I was actually approached by some family members to my sis in law, and they signed up for an affiliate program, which sounds shady to me. I think it's www.unim.com, not sure, they're supposed to send me the link later. But they were told how much they could make, and this company was going to build the site and set up the links for it and they even went to some 6 hour seminar and paid $200.00 bucks to get things started, so that's why I started the thread, along with the suggestion from Spectra.

Also, Deker, you stated earlier in this CSS thread that designers try to get CSS to work like tables. How do you view CSS? I think I look at it as the same way I looked at tables myself. Thinking of a grid form, but is there another concept? What am I missing in terms of how I should look at CSS?

Cheers!
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 18th 2005#167595 Report
Well CSS is still basically squares, but they don't have to fall into a grid, they can overlap, be absolutely positioned on the page, be hidden and displayed, etc. They also "float" so that if you have a web gallery for instance, with a bunch of images side by side, on a small resolution they may only be 3 images wide, but if you increase your browser size, there could be 6 or 8 on a line. And it changes dynamically. You can't do stuff like that with tables. But as far as it still being made of squares, this much is true. But it doesn't have to be put into an inflexible grid like tables.
Reply with Quote Reply
Apr 22nd 2005#167749 Report
In regards to some of the recent layouts you've been doing, they really aren't that complicated, just 3 columns with a header from what I've seen. This can easily be accomplished in CSS.[/QUOTE]

That's cause pretty much everything I've been working on has been CMS front ends. Pretty much lends itself to 3 columns and a header. :(

Jackie's EE test site was ALL CSS... and frankly, it would have taken a lot less time to just make the buttons images and put redundant nav @ the bottom. All the time tweaking the sliding doors for the nav buttons, and then WAIT... oh-no, it shifts 3 pixels up in IE for no apparent reason. Well, we'll just put ANOTHER hack in...
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum