TeamPhotoshop
Reviews, updates and in depth guides to your favourite mobile games - AppGamer.com
Forum Home Latest Posts Search Help Subscribe

Backing up files

Page: 1 2 Reply
Mar 30th 2005#167075 Report
What does everyone here do for backing up files? I figured id ask cause with portfolios and everything on our hdd's, if anything went wrong we'd be somewhat SOL.

Im especially interested in organization. The last backup i did took 12 hours and 23 cds to complete. So when I backup later on, I dont want to go through all of that again, not to mention its a waste to backup all the same files.

Im thinking maybe i should use a program to keep track of my files, or have some kinda filelist (printed, or sql database) of the files on each CD....so i can compare the next time i backup? Another hard drive is somewhat out of the question right now.

Also my backups are about 30 gigs, so its quite a task.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 30th 2005#167076 Report
I burn DVD's.
I put everyting in folders
good organization is very important... I give long descriptive names to my psd's /ai's - like "client_red header_hotel site" helps a lot when searching for stuff one thing I hate most of all is when I look for "logo" and find about 200 files....always use the client name -even if you have a client folder...
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 30th 2005#167079 Report
I have a 200GB external HD. I use Save N Sync to automatically sync my computer's HD with the external HD everytime i exit windows...doesnt take long either...i really recommend it, a really good way to back your work up
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 30th 2005#167081 Report
i'm actually looking at investing in an external hd myself and doing the exact same thing cyb. any recommendations?

chris
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 30th 2005#167086 Report
I've been thinking about getting a Network Hardrive instead of a USB... seeings how I have 3 to 5 puters networked at any given time.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-303&depa=0
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2005#167105 Report
[QUOTE=cybling]I have a 200GB external HD. I use Save N Sync to automatically sync my computer's HD with the external HD everytime i exit windows...doesnt take long either...i really recommend it, a really good way to back your work up[/QUOTE]

What do you do when thats full.?
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2005#167109 Report
buy another one and sync that too?
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2005#167110 Report
Yeah exactly...youll be suprised how hard it is to fill 200GB though. I just bought a cheap external HD without a case off ebay, and then a case for $15 and put them together. If you buy one with a case they cost much much more. The make of my HD is Maxtor and the sync software is Save N Sync, works a treat and really should be a must for any serious artist.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2005#167115 Report
You can get a PCI-X raid card for...what, $50? That's one option. I usually keep things on a different drive. I have three (small) hard drives in my computer, but a good, high speed external hd is the best option. You can buy a firewire case for about $20-$30, and you can get the internal harddrive anywhere that it's cheap. Rigging this stuff together is really a lot more intuitive than you might think.

Anyway, Here's newegg's results for internal HD's, And Here's their results for external hd's.

It doesn't seem that they have external enclosures only, so you may want to look for those on ebay, but if they're to be had for $20, or so, and you can get an internal for roughly $100, then there's no real bonus to buying one that's already assembled for almost $200.

I should take my own advice, and buy one of these.
Reply with Quote Reply
Mar 31st 2005#167116 Report
Heh heh...

Of course they sell drive enclosures.

I was typing in the wrong search field.
Reply with Quote Reply
Page: 1 2 Back to top
Please login or register above to post in this forum